Powered By Blogger

Wednesday 18 April 2012

What is poetry

A question that has one and many answers. for me poetry is any form of interaction that has a targeted outcome.

By this I mean that a scribble on a toilet wall can be poetry if the scribble has been constructed with it's own purpose in mind. Poems do not even have to have words in them (but it helps) and some have none. Some have randomized words but are still constructed and chosen by the poet for a reason.

I have had disagreements with poets that state that some poetry can have no predefined purpose or objective. I argue that all poetry is trying to inform or connect the poet to the one experiencing the poem in question. If this was not the case then the poem would have no meaning.

We are all influenced by the world and people around us and in turn our poetry is too, it is impossible to construct without constructing a poem. There has to be that initial spark or desire to give birth to it.

I'm by no means the most travelled or experienced poet in the world so feel free to disagree and debate with me, I'd enjoy a good discussion. There are after all no absolutes.

That's all for today, I really have to devote some time to my writing again.

No comments:

Post a Comment