Powered By Blogger

Thursday 11 November 2010

Armistice, getting to know Mr Mau5, and sickened by greed at the Hut. 11/11/2010

I'm sure it's no surprise that today was Armistice day. I was quiet for the two minutes, I spent them thinking about war means to me and how privileged I am to have never taken part in a conflict. Whereas I do think conflict is something that humans will always take part in, it's not something I want to personally.
So what would make me go to war?
Hard to say really, threat of harm against my family, oppression of thought and expression. Those things I would fight against.

In other news, I was made aware of Ghosts N Stuff by Dead Mau5. I found the sound to be great and strangely nostalgic. Anything that sparks nostalgia for me is an instant addiction, so I am currently getting to know Mr Mau5 and his work. Much to the delight of my step Daughter, I might add.

Today I also spent some time with my wife, we decided to take sanctuary from the rain in Pizza Hut Beckton. It had been a while since I had been in Pizza Hut, (PH) so I was interested to see something on the table other than the menu. PH now add ten pence to your total bill and donate it to World Hunger Relief 2010. They will also match donations to the value of £20,000. I commented to my wife this was cool and wondered if we could donate more. We chatted some more and she commented that she wondered how many mean people would take the option of having the ten pence removed from the bill, you can do that if you really want to and donate nothing. I said that I was unsure hopefully not many, after all it was only ten pence.
After about five seconds of me saying that the table in front of us, commented loudly "they shouldn't add it, they get enough from everyone eating here. I'm not paying extra".

Now, myself and Kay are people watchers, I love to see how people behave and talk. It's a great place to form characters from, and so we listened to them. When their bill came, they sure enough asked the waitress to take the ten pence off and left her no tip at all.
I honestly felt insulted, I don't usually care about how other people conduct themselves but this really got to me. Before I make my next remarks let's be clear on a point. I am over weight, I have no idea how much I weigh but I am no food or slimming crusader.

This couple where huge, really really huge. The kind of big that gets you incapacity benefit and a free mobility car, I have opinions on this too but will stay on subject. I do not understand why ten pence was so bad, I was listening to them and it was not a budget issue but a moral choice. They chose to do nothing, in their world we should all only care about ourselves. This couple where a mess, dressed in new but very mismatched clothing and awful hair. It's hard to describe but I am sure most of you know someone that displays their inner darkness though an outer appearance. They where like that and I felt annoyed and insulted, as though because they where clearly English and close to my generation. That made them part of my "Tribe", a representation of all that is backward and selfish about this country.
Weird I know but there it is, Kay was equally disgusted and as we waited for our bill the table to the side of us (a mother and daughter clearly well off and well spoken) also where complaining about having ten pence added to their bill.

Are people honestly this selfish and blind? Does ten pence really make that much of a difference?
I donated and tipped the waitress as I always do and was still left with a sense of embarrassment at the actions of the others. Perhaps I have too high expectations of people in general?
What are you thoughts dear readers?

2 comments:

  1. Comments are now working again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeh, unfortunatly, the world is full of arseholes. Occationally you get nice people who actually think of others, but in general and on the whole... Humans aren't very caring creatures.

    ReplyDelete